When the distillery was founded in 1824 the name was 'Elchies Distillery'. In 1892 the new owner Roderick Kemp changed the name to Macallan-Glenlivet. The Kemp family would remain shareholders until 1996. Macallan already used a whopping 21 stills to produce 6,000,000 litres of alcohol in the past, but in September 2008 the old still room with six extra stills is opened up again, increasing capacity to 8,000,000 litres. The distillery has the third largest production capacity behind Glenfiddich and Glenlivet.