The Ardbeg distillery lies on the South shore of Islay, close to the other 'Kildalton' distilleries Lagavulin and Laphroig. Ardbeg was officially established as early as 1815 but was closed in 1983. Glenmorangie PLC bought the distillery in 1997. The purchase and restoration of the distillery required over 10 million pounds. Casks of Ardbeg whisky are stored at the distillery in four warehouses which hold up to 24,000 casks of whisky.